Thank You for considering to become a ICHS Volunteer!
Thank you for your interest in our volunteer program! ICHS is largely a volunteer-based organization and an integral part of our operations. We are grateful for each and every volunteer who shares their time with us. We look forward to helping you find a volunteer role that matches your talents, interests and schedule to help the animals of our communities.
Iowa County Humane Society (ICHS) offers two different types of volunteer opportunities:
1) Foster Family for ICHS companion animals in your home: Foster Families are essential for helping our animals with special needs or animals who may need additional socialization. The length of stay in foster care can vary from a few weeks to several months, depending on the animal's specific needs. You select the type of animals to foster and determine when you are available for a foster. Foster volunteers are never expected to take an animal that is not a good fit for their home or family. Homes that are able to take fosters on a consistent basis help out the most, but even homes that can take only a couple fosters a year can be a big help for the shelter's special needs animals. If you are interested in becoming a Foster Family, please complete this application.
2) Weekly Shift Volunteer - Volunteer in a weekly 2-4 hour shift at the shelter located at 305 County Road YZ, Dodgeville, WI 53533. We prefer that 'Weekly Shift Volunteers' have the ability to fill a shift that is scheduled for the same day and same time every week, but are willing to work with you.
The following are entry level volunteer positions with a weekly 2-4 hour shift:
- Feline Friend - Assists with socialization, enrichment and other daily shift assignments
- Canine Companion - must be 18 years old and complete training with Kennel Manager
- Animal Support Crew - help prepare for daily opening by assisting the kennel staff with daily animal care tasks. These tasks may include sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning litter boxes, etc.
- Shelter Support Crew - Assist the shelter staff with office related tasks
- Gardening & Maintenance - if you have a green thumb or have carpentry, plumbing, or maintenance skills, we would like to talk to you. Maintenance and gardening needs are not seasonal, but ongoing year-round.
- Fundraising Assistant - assist the director and staff with various fundraising activities such as raffles, bake sales, dog washes, etc.
- Flexi-teer - asked to come in on an as needed basis to provide assistance with special tasks or special projects, odd jobs, etc., for limited periods of time.
- Driver - must be 18 years or older with a clean driving record and valid driver’s license. Available on a weekly basis to transport animals to and/or from appointments at area vet clinics, spay/neuter clinics, etc. Other assignments might include picking up donations of goods, transferring goods to other facilities, etc.
If you are interested in becoming a Weekly Shift Volunteer, please complete this application.
Diversity and inclusion are celebrated and embraced at Iowa County Humane Society. We will not discriminate against or give preference to any person because of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, handicap or disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, arrest record, genetic information, veteran status or other class protected by applicable law. ICHS has a wide variety of volunteer positions available and makes every effort to connect each volunteer to the role that best fits their preferences and abilities.