Employment at ICHS
There is nothing more satisfying than making a lasting difference in the life of an unwanted, homeless or abused animal. As an employee of the Iowa County Humane Society, you will be an important part of our team of dedicated staff who help give around 400 animals each year a chance for a new life in a loving home. If you have a passion for animals and their welfare, possess a positive, upbeat attitude and are a team player, you could be part of the ICHS mission of giving every animal the chance that it deserves!
If you're interested in helping Iowa County Humane Society and its animals you can also check our volunteer needs!
Shelter Operations Assistant
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Operational Assistant will assist in the provision of animal care as well as customer support. The operational assistant is responsible for the compassionate delivery of programs and services offered through ICHS front desk (i.e. adoptions, intake of pets, and providing resources to community members in need), all while providing outstanding customer service. In addition, the operational assistant will be trained to assist in all duties related to animal care.
- Answer phone calls and promptly responds to messages and email correspondence on a variety of topics related to adoptable animals and general inquiries.
- Provide accurate information and courteous service to the public about animals in our care, the lost/found process, re-homing program as well as the adoption process.
- Handles and processes revenue from adoptions, retail sales, donations, surrendered animals, and redeemed animals in accordance with written policies and procedures.
- Interviews and provides consultation to prospective adopters in a courteous and educational manner, in the selection of companion animals suitable for their household, and processes adoptions as needed
- Conducts oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks or in emotionally charged situations
- Ability to prioritize tasks as related to staff management, animal care, and shelter needs.
- Administers vaccinations, immunizations and treatment, for injuries or illness as prescribed by veterinarians and following ICHS policies and procedures.
- Assists with completion of and/or helps perform daily cleaning, maintenance, while maintaining a high standard of animal care and welfare, which includes providing scheduled feedings, medications, clean water at all times, proper bedding and enrichment throughout the day
- Properly clean and sanitize kennels, rooms, cages, equipment and areas of shelter as assigned and Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty
- Be knowledgeable and conversational on ICHS policies and common animal welfare practices
- Can legibly keep accurate records in accordance with shelter policy.
- Provide excellent customer service to all individuals
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed. Performs other related duties as required.
- (2) years previous experience working with animals in a veterinary hospital, animal shelter, kennel or similar environment is preferred; or any combination of education and experience which provides the skills and abilities for this job
- Proficient computer skills required such as Excel, Word, databases, and spreadsheets and the ability to learn in-house software
- Be attentive to medical and behavioral issues of animals and promptly report and monitor any concerns identified.
- Provide excellent customer service and exercise friendly, helpful interaction with the public, always projecting a positive attitude and image at ICHS
- Be punctual for scheduled shifts, and maintain a neat, well-groomed appearance
- Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to humanely handle and effectively communicate a wide array of animal behaviors
- Have a high level of manual dexterity
- The ability to bend and squat and stand for significant periods of time
- Exposure to odors and airborne particles including animal fur and toxic chemicals
- Potential exposure to high levels of noise
- Department Hours of operation between 8am and 5pm seven days a week, flexible work hours will be required (including holidays, weekends, and overtime)
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, and animal feces
- Subject to animal bites and scratches and contagious diseases while handling animals
- Exposure to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
Pay: From $12.00 per hour
Please fill out a job application and return to: 305 Co Rd YZ, Dodgeville WI 53533 or email to email@example.com
If you are considering employment at ICHS, remember that we work every day including holidays and bad weather days so reliable transportation and an ability to be at work when scheduled is necessary.
For general employment opportunities, please contact Iowa County Humane Society at
(608) 935-1381 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer.